For sealing thicker materials, we are big fans of direct heat sealers – portable or foot operated. Direct Heat Sealers provide really beautiful seals and are super easy to use. However, to ensure that your direct heat sealer enjoys a long life, please follow the following easy steps.
- Always unplug the sealer from the power source when doing maintenance.
- Make sure the unit is not left on when not in use for a period of time.
- Do not leave the unit on overnight. This will shorten the life of the parts.
- Find the lowest temperature that will still seal the bag.
- Make sure that when the foot board is depressed that the foot board does not hit the ground.
- Make sure that the unit is wiped down periodically to remove any excess bag material left behind after sealing.
- Remove any food debris from the sealer or seal bars that may have oozed out of the bag when sealing if you are packaging food.
- Purchase Silicone Spray from a local hardware store . There are many brands & types. I would look for food grade Silicone Spray if packaging food.
- Spray the Silicone Spray onto a shop rag or tooth brush. When the sealer is turned off for the day & near cooled, still warm is a perfect time to wipe down the sealer. Never spray the Silicone Spray directly on to the unit.